Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Hollow City / Book Review

Ok, i have to admit it, I've been delaying this review, not because i didn't like the book, but since it was released last month, well, i didn't want to spoil it for you in case you didn't read it. And then, there's this single little thing that bothers me so much...the inevitable wait, wait like a whole year or more for book three!.
Anyway, back to business, Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children #2) by Ransom Riggs.
"The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience."

I gave this book 5 stars, and this is why. When i finally decided to read book 1, I was completely amazed by the way the author used old pictures that he found here and there and in base of them he build a whole story, which just for that is pretty awesome. The combination of all the elements gave the book a extra plus in my eyes since I never see the use of old pictures in a book, at least not this way. And here i have to mention the beginning of the book in which the author placed pictures of the principal characters and "reminds you" a little about their abilities and who they are, same with other character which are not peculiar.


Of course I had my reservations at first with book two, but let me tell you something, it cover the expectations that I have with the very cleaver use of pictures in the story. And speaking about the story, oh my, i have to say that even when i had my suspects, one particular event really amazed me, i kept telling out loud "i knew it! i knew it", but i'm not going to tell what i knew it since i don't want to ruin your reading.
New characters, peculiars of course, appear to help our favorite characters in their journey to rescue Miss Peregrine and save the Peculiar world.





My only complain -if you can call it complain- is the indecision of Jacob about stay or not with the peculiars, and bossy Emma trying to sent him back home. Honestly, we all know the dangers that Jacob could have if he comes  home, specially since his psychologist was one of the bad guys. And all most agree that after living the danger and experiences that he suffered in book 1 and book two, there's a not turning back, you can go back home and pretend to live normally because that's impossible. Thank God Jacob understood this, specially because he didn't want to put in danger his parents.
Do I recommend the book? totally, and believe me, i can't wait for book 3!


2 comments:

  1. Now I totally need to read the first book. I love collecting old pictures- especially the ones that are a little different and more unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should, there are a couple of pretty disturbing pictures on book 1, like those of the kids with masks, totally worth it!

      Delete

follow me on

quote of the month

quote of the month

Share some Love