Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Exorcist / Book Review

I have to say that I had my reservations with this book. I saw the movie when I was a kid and my first thought was "that was all?" I mean, my parents mentioned how scary it was, my siblings too, so of course I was expecting something completely terrible, something like scare-to-death kind of movie. Something so traumatized like "It" -that awful clown still gave me the chills-.
The movie had its good parts tho, and then my dad said it "The Book was better", so the curiosity stock with me.
I remember reading Legion when i was in high school (more of this next week), and that book really let me uneasy, but i couldn't get my hands in a copy of the Exorcist -not until now-.

"Four decades after it first shook the nation, then the world, William Peter Blatty's thrilling masterwork of faith and demonic possession returns in an even more powerful form. Raw and profane, shocking and blood-chilling, it remains a modern parable of good and evil and perhaps the most terrifying novel ever written."

Here let me be completely straight, if you read the description, or at least the previous description you could feel a little disappointed, I mean "perhaps the most terrifying novel ever written" well not at all!, probably there are other novels more terrifying than this, but it has its merits. 
After watching The Conjuring  -which really freaked me out- and read The Demonologist -which helped me to understand more about demonic possession, read The Exorcist now was the better choice and I'm glad that I waited so long.
If you're not familiar with the story, or never watched the movie (or read the book), you must know that the story took place in Georgetown. A very famous actress (Chris) is renting a house while she's filming a movie. She lives there with her little girl, Reagan, and a couple who are her domestic service.
Chris start noticing little things about her daughter behavior, but since she's a divorce, she at first thought it was the way the girl was expressing her feelings for the separation and the absence of her father.  Thank God Chris was a responsible mother and took Rags to the doctor, but all the test came pretty much useless, since they couldn't find what was wrong with the girl. And what was even worst, Chris was an atheist, so it never crossed for her mind that let her daughter play with a ouija board could be a terrible choice. 
The changes in Reagan took Chris to a desperate situation in which she ask the help from a Priest, Father Karras, who at the moment was having a faith problem. He wasn't so sure about God or his believes, but after meeting Reagan, everything changed. 
There's not a lot of  differences between the book and the movie (if I recall correctly but I must see the movie again!), but you know how it works with books, you're reading, and you are imagining every single detail, so of course it could be more impressive. There are a couple of parts that made me to stop reading because I kept telling myself "She's just a little girl!", and there were moments in which even when you know how is going to end, you keep hoping that the end could be a little different.
Do I recommend the book? Totally Yes! I gave it 5 stars because it really gave me nightmares!

No comments:

Post a Comment

follow me on

quote of the month

quote of the month

Share some Love