Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Guardian of the Gate / Book Review


The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for a way to end the prophecy, her twin sister Alice hones the skills she'll need to defeat Lia. Alice will stop at nothing to reclaim her sister's role in the prophecy, and that's not the only thing she wants: There's also Lia's boyfriend James.

Lia and Alice always knew the Prophecy would turn those closest to them against them. But they didn't know what betrayal could lead them to do. In the end, only one sister will be left standing


This is the second installment of Prophecy of the Sisters. While the first book was placed in New York, this time the story is placed in Europe.
After Lia's discovery of her role on the Prophecy, she decided to do whatever is in her hands to end it, once and for all. She knows she must find the other keys, and that's why she decided to left behind everything and go to London, to find out more about the Prophecy, the keys and her own powers. Her new friend Sonia, goes with her. Eight months pass flying, a time in which Lia has been learning how to use her powers, but she discovers too that Alice, her twin sister, had been working on her own. Alice is a powerful spell-caster, and what's even worst, she had decided not to accept her role on the prophecy, she wants to bring Samael to the world at any cost, even if that mean war between her and her sister.
It's after an encounter with Alice in the dream plane that Lia discovers how strong her sister is getting. She's worry about her aunt Virginia, who was living with Alice, but her concern disappears with the arrival of her aunt, her friend Luisa and the employee who was more a part of her family than anything, Edmund. They bring news from aunt Abigail, demanding Lia's presence in Altus, a magical place where Abigail is not only a witch, but the ruler of them all.
The journey to Altus begin, and with it, new adventures and dangers to face.
While I wasn't so happy with the Prophecy of the sister, Guardian of the Gate went from bad to worst. First let me talk about Altus, an island in England, that nobody knows its location, which is protected by magic, surrounded by the mist. An Island with lost of apple trees, in which witches and high priestesses live in harmony, in which they are not restricted by corsets, but instead wear tunics. Avalon too much? Well that's what I felt.
And now our protagonist is the heir of Altus, the next Lady of Avalon, Altus, but before that, she has to find the lost pages from the book of chaos.
Here I had to clarify that the description could be a little confuse, since, Alice only appears twice in the whole book, well, thrice, and about they fighting for James? I'm not so sure about that since in terms of romance, there's a new character, a mysterious man who felt an irresistible attraction to Lia, and of course, even when it goes against the rules, he would do all in his power to help her and protect her.
Once again I gave this book two stars of five, and not because I liked it, I think I was too generous, but like I mentioned in my other review, the story in general wasn't that bad, and the mix of elements was a great idea, but the main character is still totally boring and I can't help wishing her death. I also decided to take a little break of this saga, and read book three after my mind is clear, and just to find out how this is going to end. I don't want to lie here, so I'll tell you that I still hope book three get better. Maybe I'm a little naive, we'll see.
I don't totally recommend this book, but like I said, if you want to go for it, do it, and let me know, maybe you have another perspective that I've been missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

follow me on

quote of the month

quote of the month

Share some Love