Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Prophecy of the Sisters / Book Review


An ancient prophecy divides two sisters- 

One good... 
One evil... 
Who will prevail? 
Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets. 
Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust. 
They just know they can't trust each other

Goodreads: 3.8 stars
Me: 2 stars
When Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink came to me as a suggestion of GoodReads, I was intrigued by the cover (the one on this post of course), so I marked it as "to read", and forget about it for a while. After reading The Thirteenth Tale -twice- I couldn't help felt in love with the concept. I don't have a sister and the dynamic was fascinating to me.
So of course the Prophecy of the Sisters came to my mind and I get my hands on that book -ebook- and started to read.
The story is about identical twin sisters Amalia and Alice. One of them kind and gentle, the other one dark and mysterious. It's during the funeral of their father that we found that Lia -our protagonist- discovered a strange mark in her wrist.
The appearing of the mark could be enough to keep you wondering until James, Lia's boyfriend, gave her a book that he found in Lia's library, a hidden book, quite mysterious, a weird one, since it only contain a single page in Latin. It's also thanks to James that we can find out what the page said because he made a translation for Lia. The content of course is the prophecy itself. A prophecy that talks about lost souls, keys, and two sisters acting one as the Gate that could open a door between our world and the Other world, bringing with her one of the worst demons of all, Samael. The other sister acting as a Guardian who must prevent the open of the Gate.
Of course Lia assumes that the prophecy in some way is connected with her and her sister in some way, and that probably Alice and her are the Gate and the Guardian. 
I don't want to give many details in case you want to read book. The reason why i gave this book three stars of five is not the story itself, the story isn't bad at all, in fact I thought it was a good story, but the main character, oh dear, I couldn't be more bored with her. Usually when a book is writing in first person, you kind of relate a little bit more with it, you feel its emotions, you understand its motives. With Lia, i found her totally boring. 
The way the book develops is not so bad either, but like I said, the main character is not my favorite, and the secondary characters are as plain as her.
There are three books of this story, which i'm reading more for discipline, with the hope that maybe the story has a good ending (the main character dies or something like that).
Do I recommend this book? Well, I'm not so sure about it. Like I said, the story is ok, but I don't feel comfortable telling you to read this book. What I could say is that if you really want to read it go for it, never let a good or bad review take you away from something you want to read. That's what I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

follow me on

quote of the month

quote of the month

Share some Love