Monday, April 27, 2015

The Boy in the Smoke / Book Review



The Boy in the Smoke (Shades of London) by Maureen Johnson
Stephen Dene has been a role model student, the best of his class, always doing the right thing. He’s from a wealthy family and has a great admiration for his sister who always try to look after him. His parents are always too busy to pay attention to them.  His sister is always taking to the extreme the relationship with their parents, doing one crazy thing after the other until they get to their limits and send her away.
Years later they found out that she died of an overdose. Stephen then would focus all his will and attention to his studies, becoming an example to others. During a visit of his parents, he decides to commit suicide, but something go wrong, someone helps him, and it’s thanks to his proximity to death that he would receive a special gift, he can see ghosts now.
He would be contact for a special agency, M6 and with the help of a special lamp with cheep diamonds, he would help get rid of ghosts. In a place like London, is not going to be easy.

My thoughts
I can’t recall where I heard of Shades of London first, but I remember wanted to read them. After my disappointment with the Little Blue Envelopes duology I wasn’t so sure to read other book of Maureen Johnson, but since I already had the ebooks, I decided to give it a try.
While the situation in which Stephen is place was very predictable, I must say that I was amused by the result after his suicide attempt. I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone since it could be a trigger, but putting the suicide apart, I think it really accomplish the entertaining part. The use of M6 was a little bit 007 and to be honest made me laugh a lot, but looking on the other side was creative.
The book was a little unbelievable but the general idea wasn’t that bad.
For me this book is a maybe, a maybe I would read the other book, or maybe not.

I gave this book 3 stars, so it was an ok book, nothing amazing but nothing so bad that made me wish to stop reading and throw it away.



Disclaimer: I'm affiliate to The Book Depository, so I got a small percentage from every purchase you make through my links, if you want to support my bookshelf project by buying this book, please use the link down below

Book Depository
  Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

1 comment:

  1. Hey lady, I nominated you for a Liebster award!: http://www.whimsyandnoir.com/2015/04/ive-been-nominated.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete

follow me on

quote of the month

quote of the month

Share some Love