Saturday, November 19, 2016

Me Before You Duology / Review




For rule, books are better than the movies, but that was not the case here. I saw the movie before reading the book, and I felt touched, sad and in love with the characters, the main reason why I decided to read the book, that and the fact that I read and heard so many great reviews about it.
Don’t get me wrong, for a person who believes in magic, fairy tales and even Santa Claus, it’s hard to classify this book as a love story, even more, to call this book beautiful and heartbreaking or even romantic.

About the movie, the only thing I could say is that the characters were made lovable as it was expected, and of course the interpretations of Emilia Clarke as Lou and Sam Claflin as Will was great, they had such chemistry that made you love their characters and believe in their love story, thanks to Sam interpretation obviously.



But let me tell you about the book. Usually I enjoy reading more details about the characters, to learn more about who they are, what are they thinking, to get a bigger idea of their personality, major mistake here, because while in the movie, all of them were warm and you get to like them all, even Patrick, in the book is the contrary.
The book follows the story of Louisa Clark, a young woman who is in a difficult situation, she lost her job, and basically that was the only income her family had, her father lost his job a few months previously, her mother stays at home taking care of the granddad, and Louisa’s younger sister’s income is not enough, especially since she had a boy to support.
So Louisa is forced to take whatever job comes her way, since she is unambitious and has little qualifications, she’s not the smart one of the family, her younger sister is. That’s how she ended  careering  a man called Will Traynor, a young, handsome, successful and wealthy man who suffered a terrible accident which put him on a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
So in one side we have a working-class family who besides their necessities are together and support each other, and on the other the upper-class family who are desperate for a little light.

That sounds good right? But let me elaborate a little bit more about this, when you expect reading about that warm and lovable family, the reality was different, especially certain member of the family who was so selfish that for moments I wish I could slap him/her. I found the family so horrible, always making fun of her and treating her like crap.
Will’s family wasn’t different either in that aspect. The mother was warmer in the movie, but in the book was ice queen, and don’t let me start with the father and the sister (what?, oh yes, Will had a sister).

The book was a complete deception in the romantic aspect too because there was not a single moment in which I can tell Will was completely in love of Louisa as was portrayed in the movie, in fact, their love relationship was hard to believe, and at the end, Louisa who was my favorite character in the movie, I found her so plain, kind of stupid and very selfish.

And here I’m not talking only on Me Before You but also After you, because when the first one gave me hope that maybe Lou was going to make something with her life, the second book (which I DFN) was a complete disappointment,

I read half the book, and ask the end to my best friend who have the nerve to read it completely. Not going into much detail, it was a waste of time, and a sad result which knowing Lou from the book, was expected.








I didn’t rate After you for obvious reasons, but Me Before You got a sad 2 stars, definitely not my cup of tea.


In case you want to know what I really feel about the book and don’t mind spoilers, here’s the book talk I made on the channel.




No comments:

Post a Comment

follow me on

quote of the month

quote of the month

Share some Love