Thursday, April 13, 2017

On Netflix: Thirteen Reasons Why and A Girl Like Her

A few days ago Netflix released its new series, Thirteen Reasons Why, probably you already heard about it, how fantastic it is, and intense and so on. Probably you already know that it was based on the book with the same name by Jay Asher.

And I can't deny that as so many of you, I was curious about the series, so I gave it a go. I saw the thirteen episodes and now I need to talk about it.
From time to time I make comparisions from book to series or book to movies adaptations. Sometimes things go well, others not so much, and from time to time I wish the movie or the series didn't exist or in the case of watching first the movie and loved it wish I never ever read the book!.

To be fair with this series in particular, I must say that the adaptation was really good, even when there were little details which were change, but didn't affect the story in general or the message.
Still in their attempt to make the series more intriguing, there were characters who probably in the book didn't have much attention, and here were portrayed to the point of sound ridiculous!

All that "we need to stop Clay" was way too much, as if their part on the story was so important or the things they did was so damn horrible that made you think man, this guy probably is a serial killer, and not the jerk who made a girl wait for him for hours and then tried to touch her under her skirt to be denied and then insult her and left her crying on a cafeteria.
When I read the book, I'm not going to lie, I wasn't a fan of Hannah, for the simple reason that when it was intended to be a victim, I couldn't see her like that.

I get that she was having a hard time at school, that she was bullied and didn't get the help she needed. But even when I know bullying is bullying no matter the level, what Hannah suffered wasn't as extreme like other people had suffered, and still they keep fighting and trying to do their best.
What's even more, the way Hannha decided to blame others for her own decision, because it was her decision to take her own life, was a little too much, and the tapes, oh man, it was not a cry for help or a way to help others, it was pure revenge. In a twisted way she decided to blame others and made them pay in some level with guilt and a treat to make public the tapes.
And there's the aspect of the parents with the demand to the school, as if the school was the only responsable of their daughter death. What about them? Why didn't they noticed the changes in their own daughter? Why didn't they know her friends or lack of them? Why blame the school for their lack of parenting?
All in all, it was an entertained show, and if the intention was to help others in the same situation than Hannah, I'll certainly wouldn't recommend it, there are some triggers in the last episode which are way too graphic. 

And since probably I sound like an insensitive person for not liking Hannah, let me recommend to you A Girl Like Her. It's also on Netflix, and is a movie on a documentary format.

Here the bullying is more clear, not just because someone stole my little notes or because someone put me on a list of best ass like Hannah, but real, hurtful bullying. And what's even more important, it's an exploration of both sides, the victim and the bullier. 
The victim of course tried to kill herself as a result of so much hate and hurtful moments, she ended up on the hospital, but the investigation that followed was a portrait of the reality kids live day after day.



A better portrait of the situation both girls were living, and a real powerful message at the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment

follow me on

quote of the month

quote of the month

Share some Love